Wednesday 20 March 2013

Why I'm not narcissistic after all!

Yesterday (as most of you know) I sent out an email to let people know that I was back at blogging after my month or so long hiatus.  I have often struggled with the idea of blogging because I felt that there was something egotistical about it.  I guess I was thinking that is was narcissistic to believe that I have something so interesting to say that it is worth putting out there on the world wide web.  And more to that, telling my people about it with the expectation that they might read it.  

Here is a response I received yesterday from a friend about the email:

Are you kidding!  I'm thrilled to read. It's not narcissism, it's self promotion, self-expression and a natural human desire to connect with a community!!!!  

So, two things:  1) What a nice and reassuring response from a dear friend.  This really did make me feel better about myself and my blogging.  Well, maybe not better, but more assured and comfortable.  2) This really did hit the nail on the head for me.  After all, this blog is all about ME. Not my job, my husband, daughter, other family members etc.  Just me.  My thoughts, my hilarious jokes and what I find interesting AND sharing them with the people I adore. 

So, I guess I'm not so narcissistic after all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an amazing friend that must be! Your friend must be VERY intelligent and insightful. ;)

    Along with what your friend said I think it's also important to gain a sense of self-love and self-confidence and begin to understand that your ideas are important, your ideas are unique and your ideas can shape your world and the world of those who have the opportunity to hear and know your ideas.

    TED talks were created just for that purpose. To share ideas. Their caption is "Ted Talks: Ideas Worth Spreading". What makes any one of those people standing on the TED stage any different than you. Your ideas are just as important. I personally am very grateful for blogging as it is a free source of idea sharing. You don't need a publisher to share with the world how you perceive the world.

    Harriet Tubman said it best,

    "Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

    Believe in your dreams, believe in your ideas. Who knows where they will take you and how they will change the world we live in!

    Looking forward to more interesting dialogue!

    ReplyDelete