Tuesday 27 November 2012

Christmas Memories

Although I have many, I am only going to share two.  One is a real favourite memory, and one is just something that happened, twice.  See if you can guess which!

1. Once, I mean twice, my dad decided that Christmas Eve was the best time to shovel the snow off the roof.  And twice he fell off.  Luckily one year my grandma was visiting, so he was able to use her cane.

2.  One Christmas, in order to save some money, my mom decided to use the artificial tree that we had gotten from my Grandma when she moved into an apartment.  My brother and I were home from university visiting in order to help decorate.  When we set up the tree we realized it was ridiculously small.  So, when my mom left to go to work for the evening my brother and I went and bought a real  GIGANTIC tree.  We set it up and decorated it.  When my mom came home she cried.

What is Christmas without a few tears of joy?

2 comments:

  1. 1. My mom, my sister, and I used to read Christmas stories together under the tree. Every year. We had a limited selection of Christmas stories that came out with the tree decorations: How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas, A Very Fraggle Christmas, The Fright Before Christmas, and The Honeybears' Christmas Surprise were among our very favourites. I can tell you that almost none of them were good books but we loved them nonetheless.
    AS we got older, we started reading Stuart Maclean's Christmas stories from the Vinyl Cafe books. When Morley follows the red yarn out to the backyard to the red-lit tree Dave has made for her - well, I cry every single time.
    Keen to keep the tradition alive, I tried reading the story for my husband, but he may or may not have fallen asleep. Oh well. I will ALWAYS love our stories under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Bri,
      Aren't those some of the most treasured memories you have? And don't they hurt just a little bit? I'm not surprised about ludachris falling asleep, and that story from the VC makes me cry, too!!!!

      Delete