Monday 22 October 2012

#2: What moms say matter, too!

Well, although no comments have been made as yet, my blog seems to have received rave reviews. Seriously.  My only conundrum is what to discuss next!  I listed some possible topics in entry number one, but since then remembered two more things I wanted to discuss.  The first is the show "Once Upon a Time" which I started watching thanks to a recommendation from a friend who has great taste. (I hope again I have piqued your interest.  Notice the correct spelling?  I am a life-long learner.) The second, I think I will tackle right now.

So, I am a mom.  Super weird, I know, but true none the less.  While I was pregnant I told people (probably you) that I would not become 'one of those moms' who talked about her kids all the time.  I thought about getting a subscription to "Psychology Today" or something, to keep me sharp and to provide talking points during adult conversations.

Well, let me tell you, I look back on these thoughts with great shame.  I remember a conversation I had with an inspirational feminist during a late night 'study' session at my university residence in which she talked to me about how the art men produce is highly valued, but the artistic things that are primarily made by women are often not considered 'art', but rather 'crafts.'  The label given to these women-made things devalues them.

This is how I feel about the conversations that seem natural to someone (usually a woman, and certainly historically almost always a woman) who is at home with a child.  It is absolutely ludicrous to think that what you do 20 hours a day is something that should not be discussed.  I mean seriously people, who came up with this generally accepted idea that conversations about kids are boring and somehow wrong?  I mean, I've been there, bored, when someone is going on and on about something super uninteresting his or her kid has done.  But I am no more bored than when someone goes on and on about something super boring they did at work!!  However, you don't hear people complaining about how people talk about work all the time.  Of course they do!!  It is what they do!!  I argue that the reason people still feel comfortable minimizing, putting down, devaluing, and dismissing conversations around parenting and children, is because these conversations have typically been of the world of women, and let's face it three readers, things women generally do don't naturally garner (hope I'm using that correctly) respect.  *Patrarchy, I mean patriarchy be damned!!!  How have you weaselled your way in to every aspect of my life?

So, I say, talk proudly and confidently about your life as a parent.  When you start to see people's eyes glazing over (as I usually do when someone asks me about my life as a parent) just know that they are not as enlightened as you, and that they are propagating a paradigm where what women say and do is not valued.  Once you are done talking about your family and your day, ask them what they have done lately to further gender equality and take solace in the fact that just by talking about your very valuable life and life experiences with pride and not shame you have already done this.
*If you don't know the origin or the word patrachy and would like to, just let me know.  It might be worth it.

P.S.  Having a blog is everything I hoped it would be!  You should try it.  I promise, I will follow you if you do!

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading your poignant blog, I was thinking that this would be great to share on FB (I know that many self-declared 'stay-at-home' mom's on FB would value your point of view). BUT then I thought better. If I posted this on FB, I would get many bitter and reductive comments that would just make my blood boil. (I have learned not to post serious content on FB the hard way!) Regardless, I value your opinions and I am happy to glaze my eyes over while you talk about your kid. (jk - you know I like listening to your baby tales)

    ReplyDelete