Saturday 12 January 2013

The perfect balance doesn't exist or why we shouldn't be so hard on people

I think this is the third time I have attempted starting this post. Since none of the other tries have been successful, I am going to get right to the point.

Balance.  Is this the impossible dream?  Now, before I really get to the meat and potatoes of this post I simply must acknowledge that this problem (as I experience it) is one of privilege or luck or is a blessing depending on your point of view.

So here we go:  I always feel like I can't do everything.  The 'everything' in my life includes the following:

1.  My Job
2.  Maintaining a positive relationship with my husband
3.  Meeting social obligations
4.  Maintaining positive relationships with friends
5.  Exercising
6.  Making healthy homemade food
7.  Being an awesome mom
8.  Having FUN! (now, sometimes this can include any of 1 through 7)

What I have found, especially recently, is that the people in my life are struggling with the same problem.  I know someone who does very well at 1, 2, 3 and 5 but not so well with 4 and 6, and this person really never seems to have fun.  I know others who really struggle with 5 and 6.  I think this is a common problem of people in and around my circle.  It might be a problem with everyone, but since I don't know everyone I just can't say for sure.

This is not rocket science or new.  Or a new type of rocket science.  What is new to me about this struggle to find balance is that even though I cannot find balance, I harshly judge others when they cannot either.  For example, I know a couple who is overweight.  They never EVER exercise, they buy a lot of pre made foods, and they eat out a lot.  But you wanna know something about these people?  They are SUPER happy!!  They have a great marriage (as far as I can tell), they love their kids, they are passionate about their jobs, they travel together and with their children.

The bottom line for me is that the most important thing in life is to be happy.  If eating out or paying someone to make your food allows you to spend more time at your job and with your family, and this makes you happier, DO IT!  If spending less time with family and friends so you can work out makes you happier, DO IT!!  In short, (and I will say duh to this) DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!  And maybe, just maybe, take it easy on others for not doing what makes YOU happy, because maybe what makes them happy is different.

Sha-Bam.  



1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling of never feeling like you're getting everything quite like you'd like it. Never eating quite the way you'd like, or working out as much as you said you would. Maybe the trick is to pick one thing in a week and see if you can account for your actions in that area. You could even bring a friend on in that area....wink wink!

    I also think it really is a tough thing to truly find out what does make YOU happy. Sometimes we work so hard at making sure everyone else is happy that we actually have no idea what makes us happy. Or we let society, media etc. dictate what happy should look like. So definitely we need to sit down every now and then and close ours eyes and ask ourselves, "what makes you happy?".

    Thanks for the food for thought!

    Your friend,
    e

    ReplyDelete